Thursday, February 21, 2008

This is such a great read and reminder for us as Christian women. Sorry for the email format, I copy-pasted it onto my blog...

Dearest Ladies,

This is the email I told you to expect from the class entitled, “Balancing Church and Family” at the Freed-Hardeman Lectureship. These are your responses to the question, “How do you balance Church and family?” I will include the names of those who gave thei I was very tempted to share all the email addresses with all of you but felt it wiser to ask permission first. If you are willing for your email address to be shared with all those in attendance that day who turned in a card, just reply to this email and I will send out another one with all those names and addresses on it. Perhaps you will find a long lost roommate or dear sister in the names!> > > > I pray that God will be glorified through our love for each other and for him as we share with each other encouraging words about how we try to balance Church and family. May God bless each of you!> > > > In his love,> > Kathy Henton> > > > "Advice for Balancing Church and Family”> > > > I try to start every morning with Bible reading and prayer. My husband and I start each morning with a prayer together.> > > > Balancing church and family is such an important factor of our lives. We must schedule time for both. God knows how much we can and should do. It is easier for our family and church to be balanced if we are all involved in both. God and family require different aspects of time and we need to make decisions about this. We never have more put on us than we can do. Please help us remember our family is so important to us, just as God is and help us to make time for both. Just as Jesus took time to pray and be with family, so should we! Everything you do in balancing your life, do all to the glory of God! Phil. 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Matt. 6:33 “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you!” Let the older women teach the younger to be spiritual! Home! > > Mary Kee> > > > Love unconditionally.> > > > I am the church secretary and my husband is the preacher. I take my four year old daughter with me to work. She helps me when she can. She is learning what goes on “behind the scenes” in church work.> > > > To balance Church and Family: Obey when your husband says MOVE again. Don’t make him feel guilty for all the sacrifices you have to make. > > Mary Baxter> > Every morning at the breakfast table we (myself and three sons) read a short scripture and have a “prayer for our day.” It takes less than five minutes but it starts our day off with the word and prayer.> > Keri Collinsworth> > > > Our idea is to combine church and family when possible. Plan some family activities that are church related. Some examples are: 1) service project; 2)studying for Bible Bowl; 3) preparing bulletin boards (assign activities) and many other creative ways to combine family and church.> > > > Involve your children in your service for the church, such as visits, etc.> > > > As a preacher’s wife I schedule certain days to work at the church building so I am not there every day. This helps me balance church and family.> > Robin Burroughs> > > > 1.. Schedule time for worship first—before anything else. Organize to make time for church. > 2.. Cook for a month in one day and freeze ahead. > 3.. Make simple meals. > 4.. Decorate simply—things that need little cleaning/dusting/etc. > 5.. Listen to scripture online while you clean or exercise. Put it on an MP3 player and listen while waiting at the doctor, sports, or in the grocery line.> > > Prioritize!> > > > Always prioritize the things in your family life and activities of the church. I find that when you do this you will always have time for both.> > > > In retirement years we “choose each day” whom and how we will serve and balance church and family.> > Donnieta White> > > > Learn to say “no” to other people sometimes. Balance your time!> > > > Put your church directory numbers in your cell phone so that when you have a free minute you can call the elderly or sick and check on them. It makes their day! J> > > > Remember that your family is part of the church. Don’t feel guilty for making your family a priority!> > Lorri Purkhiser> > > > Prioritize at different stages of life. Children are a priority when they are young. God willing, there will be more time to serve when they are older.> > > > An elder’s wife many years ago told me not to worry about things I couldn’t do as a young preacher’s wife. When I was older and the children gone I could do more. House work goes for about 3 days a week. Keep the children close when you’re young and teach them.> > > > Attending every service and always be ready to teach someone the truth.> > Sara Novak> > > > I try to put people and their needs before things (affairs of the world).> > > > Remembering that our purpose for being here is to bring glory to God—that it’s all about God, not me.> > Jennifer Abbott> > > > Ensure family that they are very important and that we are concerned about their proper relationship with the Lord.> > > > Being a preacher’s wife, we need to be prepared to pick up and move at a moment’s notice. And if you have little children, keep your family unit together without complaining and your children will have their security in a united family and love for the Lord. We have been married over 50 years and raised three beautiful children who are all Christians and married Christians and are busy bringing up their children in secure Christian homes. A beautiful balance of Church and family.> > Ann Watson> > > > While my children are small I focus most of my attention on sharing the Bible with them. Being sure they make it to heaven is my main goal for now. Any opportunity I have to serve others I take my small children with me so they will begin to love serving at an early age—taking bread to sick, widows, mailing cards to sick members and having them draw a picture. They can call sick members also.> > Ellen Brown> > > > Decide before the children are born that the family will be putting church worship and activities first before outside activities, no matter what.> > Lynne Golson> > > > Be an encourager to all. Use post-a-notes on a mirror to keep up with all events. > > > > Read to your children daily from the Bible. Be excited about it. It’s not a chore but a wonderful family time. Show our children how much we love our spouses.> > > > It is important not to get caught up in “church activities” and lose sight of our mission as mothers—raising godly children. Take your girls to ladies’ functions. It is great training for them. Involve yourself in things your children can work with as well (Lads to Leaders, for example)> > Autumn Richardson> > Prioritize—know what is important—God, Church, study, Family! They are a part of studying God’s word, worshipping, serving other. PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!> > Linda Morgan> > > > Get your children involved in your Sunday school teaching. Let them help with visuals, etc.> > Pat Barker> > > > A good way that my parents helped me become involved was encourage/force me to go to visit shut-ins and nursing homes. It helped me realize that little things that you do for some people can make a dramatic difference in their day, week and maybe lives, if you have the right attitude.> > Tabitha Barker> > > > Worship with your family—study together everyday, setting good examples before the children.> > > > I was on my way to Peru on a mission trip and my two daughters, ages 19 and 17, were with me. My 17 year old lost her passport and was not able to leave with us. My 19 year old decided to stay in Atlanta with my 17 year old. It was the hardest thing that I’ve ever had to do, but it was important to go and work with my Peruvian sisters. The very next day my daughter’s passport was found and the girls were able to fly to Peru. God was truly glorified. I was terrified but He took care of it.> > > > Include your children, as much as possible, in your service to God. Also remember, caring for your family is service to God.> > > > Be a good example before your children/step children.> > > > Thank you, dearest sisters! I pray that God will increase our faith day by day as we realize how much he loves us. I pray that we will always determine to obey him, to walk in faith and to follow his lead as we live out our lives balancing Church and family. To him be all the glory forever and ever!> > > > Your sister in Christ,> > Kathy Henton> > > > > > Tan compasivo es el Señor con los que le temen como lo es un padre con sus hijos. El conoce nuestra condición; sabe que somos de barro. > > Salmo 103.13-14> > > > As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;> > for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. Psalm 103:13-14

post signature

3 comments:

Becky Welch said...

Thanks for posting the reminder. I enjoyed learning new ideas from others and being reminded of simple things we often forget. I saw this through Melissa's blog. Where you at FHU? That is where we live!!!

Nancy Hood said...

I enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing~

Elizabeth Johnston said...

Hey girl! Are ya'll going to the big event at Faulk. this weekend? We will be there Saturday night. Would love to see you!